What is DAM?
Digital asset management or DAM is term for organizing digital assets in a central location where they can be analyzed, stored, found, managed, distributed and secured. With DAM, users discover assets through a single user experience versus having to find them through disparate storage locations and systems.
Having one centralized storage repository means teams can work easily and efficiently without duplicating content and ensuring the latest version of files are accessible for everyone, not hidden on someone’s desktop or personal drive. Common assets stored in a DAM platform include photos, graphics, illustrations, videos, audio, and website content, just to name a few.
Why is digital asset management important?
Digital asset management provides so much more than just storage. Check out a few of the many benefits a DAM solution provides:
- Work more efficiently: We touched on this earlier, but no longer are team members searching multiple disparate locations (or let’s be honest, hounding coworkers) to find the latest versions of files. It is all stored in one location that can quickly be found, used, and updated again if there are changes.
- Teamwork, accelerated: Ever had a file too large to send for approval via email or struggle to get a document approved by multiple stakeholders? Simply share one link to the asset where members can easily view, comment, or leave editing suggests all in one place. Collaborating has never been easier.
- Improve brand consistency: Are you struggling with assets that barely seem to match your brand standards, let alone look like they’re coming from the same company? When all assets are clearly ordered and easily searchable, identifying brand outliers has never been easier.
- Accelerate time-to-market: No, DAM software won’t speed up production per se, but it will help keep tasks involved in launch organized and consistent. Never forget a data sheet or scramble to create a last-minute product page again.
- Repurposing content: No longer do you have to reinvent the wheel from scratch every time there is a new project. You can easily view similar content pieces all at once to see what has already been done, what can be reused, and where you’d like to take it moving forward.
What to look for in digital asset management software?
Here are some key considerations when selecting a DAM solution:
- Usability: Is it easy to use for casual users and powerful enough for content creators and curators
- Content Support: What types of file formats and asset types does the DAM support
- Security: How well does it support your data security requirements
- Integrations: How easily does it integrate with other systems (i.e. CMS, CDN, PIM, Creative Tools, etc)
- Implementation: What is required for initial implementation and ongoing support
Most importantly, you should have a clear understanding of the use cases and business problems you are trying to address. Having a clear vision of the solution will help ensure you are selecting a solution based on the criteria that matters most to you. Engaging with an experienced advisor can assist you with deciding on which solution is best for your organization and your long-term goals.
Do I really need a DAM partner?
If you’re looking to optimize your digital asset management journey and ease your digital transformation, we highly recommend working with a partner. We may be biased, but we have seen company after company only brush the surface of what digital asset management can do to transform your business. . With a skilled partner to assist in planning, implementation, tailoring, and maintenance of the solution, you’re ensuring you get the most out of your investment.
Learn more about Genus Digital Asset Management services. If you’re ready to streamline your digital assets and begin your digital transformation, reach out to our team of experts to get started.